Cultural landscapes portray how people have used natural resources over time, whether through agricultural, mining, ranching and settlement activities, or traditional Native American cultural practices.
3963 Conde Street, San Diego
The Adobe Chapel was originally built in 1850 as a home, and was converted to a church by Don José Aguirre in 1858. After having been bulldozed for street realignment in the 1930s, the WPA rebuilt the adobe chapel in 1937.
Leo Carrillo Ranch Historic Park
6200 Flying Leo Carrillo Lane, Carlsbad
A former working ranch owned by actor Leo Carrillo from 1937 to 1961. Constructed in a fusion of Spanish Colonial, Southwestern and California Rancho styles the residence served as a retreat for Carrillo.
Los Peñasquitos Ranch House
12020 Black Mountain Road, San Diego
A portion of this ranch house was built in 1823, making it one of the oldest existing structures in San Diego. Much of the rest of the rancho was built in the 1860s.
Rancho Buena Vista
640 Alta Vista Drive, Vista
Rancho Guajome Adobe
2210 N. Santa Fe Ave., Vista
Considered by many to be the most beautiful ranch in 19th-century San Diego, this nearly 7,000-square-foot adobe contains 28 rooms and served as headquarters for the ranching operation of Col. Cave Johnson Couts and his wife, Ysidora Bandini.
Santa Ysabel Store
30275 Highway 78, Santa Ysabel
Built in 1884, the adobe and wood frame store is one of San Diego backcountry's most significant and recognized historic landmarks, and, is one of the rarest types of buildings in all of San Diego County. SOHO purchased it to ensure its protection and preservation, and it has since been restored. The store is a popular destination as it doubles as an antiques and architectural salvage store in what was originally the feed store section, which is now The Feed Store - Antiques & Such.
San Dieguito River Valley
The Sikes Adobe Farmhouse was established around 1870. Except for the adobe walls, the house was destroyed in a 2007 wildfire. It has since been restored.
Warner-Carrillo Ranch House
29181 San Felipe Road, _Warner Springs
Built in 1857, the Warner-Carrillo Ranch House served as the Butterfield Stage stop and was California's first regular overland stage connection with St. Louis. With its multilayered history, the adobe ranch house tells the story of the emigrant trail, the overland stage, and the prominent ranching history of the area.
Asistencia de San Antonio de Pala
3015 Pala Mission Road, Pala
The asistencia, better known as the Pala Mission, was built in 1816 as a branch of Mission San Luis Rey. It is the only California mission still serving as a school and place of worship for Native Americans.
Mission Basilica San Diego de Alcala
10818 San Diego Mission Road, San Diego
The first of the 21 missions founded by Father Junipero Serra on July 16, 1769.
Mission San Luis Rey
4050 Mission Ave., Oceanside
Established by Father Fermin de Lasuen in 1798 and often called the King of the Missions, it is the largest of all the California missions.
Spanish Colonial Revival architecture is the signature of this urban park, which includes museums, galleries, theaters and gardens.
Major attractions include:
- Botanical Building
- Marston House Museum
- Reuben H. Fleet Science Center
- San Diego Museum of Art
- San Diego Museum of Man
- San Diego Zoo
- Spreckels Organ Pavilion
Old Point Loma Lighthouse, Cabrillo National Monument
One of the original eight lighthouses on the West Coast, it was activated Nov. 15, 1855. But at 422 feet above sea level, fog and clouds often obscured the light, so the lighthouse was deactivated after only 36 years.
Star of India, Maritime Museum of San Diego
Built in 1863, the Star of India is the world's oldest active sailing ship. The iron ship was built in the Ramsey Shipyard on the Isle of Man and was originally named Euterpe.
The San Diego Maritime Museum also includes:
- Steam ferry Berkeley
- B-39 submarine
- San Salvadore, a replica of the original under construction
- Steam yacht Medea
- USS Dolphin submarine